Osh State University
Osh State University
Osh State University (OSU) is a recognized leader of higher education in southern Kyrgyzstan, established 1939. The university has 28528 students and 1500 teachers who are also members of the National Academy of Sciences of the republic. Composition of teachers is 45 doctors of sciences, 207 candidates of sciences and associate professors, 33 honored and 127 excellent educators. The university has a powerful material and educational base; the most solid scientific and pedagogical potential among higher educational institutions of the region. There are two research institutes, 13 faculties, 3 colleges, 5 administrative departments, and 32 international, educational and cultural centers equipped with modern computers and internet facilities in all campuses. OSU is a unique and versatile university which prepares highly qualified and skilled specialists in natural sciences, pedagogic disciplines, humanities, technical directions, medicine, law, theology, music, fine arts, agriculture, social work and other specialties. Totally, the university offers 74 specialties on a variety of fields including bachelor studies on economy, management and theology. OSU cooperates with many international partners on the basis of bilateral cooperation contracts. Now a days, 2132 international students from China, Pakistan, Turkey, Korea, India, Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Palestine and Malaysia study at OSU. The university cooperates with more than 30 educational and scientific institutes abroad, and participates in various international programs and projects. As a result of these collaborations, more than 100 students are studying in USA, Germany and Turkey. Fourteen OSU graduates continue their study in Masters and PhD levels in the USA, Germany, Canada, China, Turkey and Pakistan. Because of its strong educational base, the university is considered as the most solid scientific and pedagogical potential among higher educational institutions of the region. The University has its own TV studio “Umut” and student newspaper “Nur” which is regularly published. OSU has 19 campuses, located throughout southern Kyrgyzstan as well as eight student hostels and a hotel for foreign teachers.
Role In The Project
University plays essential role of implementing the project results. Professors and experienced teachers will actively participate in the development of new innovative courses. The university keeps the link between stakeholders and the project in order to make the outcomes of the project useful and applicable for the stakeholders. Master students of the department will use disaster management innovations on their research works. University will use its’ human resources, laboratories, publishing house resources in order to organise courses, workshops and trainings, in total, to provide successful usage of the project through providing gender-balance, and focusing to provision of sustainable development of the society. The university also participate in dissemination activities. Running the developed courses and training students will be in the university’s future activities.
Abdurashit Nizamiev Gumarovich
Dr. Abdurashit Gumarovich Nizamiev has a PhD in Geography and Economy. He is Dean of Faculty of International Relations and an associate professor at Faculty of Sciences and Geography, Osh State University. Professor Nizamiev is a specialist in tourism, Ecology, Biology, Geopolitics and Regional Economy as well as Economic, Social and Political Geography. He teaches in the above fields and is an author of 133 scientific and educational papers published in Kyrgyz, Russian, English and Turkish languages in scientific journals of Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Russia, Korea and Turkey. He is an active participant in various international projects such as Tempus TTER – Tourism Training and Education reform (2007-2008 years) and the European Commission’s Erasmus Mundus program «gSmart – Spatial ICT infrastructures for Smart Places» (2013-2017 years).
• Umaraliyev R.A., Khetagurova V.Sh., Moura R., Nizamiev A.G. (2013). Disaster risk management as an important component of the strategy of development of the Central Asian countries//Collections of the first international symposium «Modern aspects of fundamental science». –Moscow: IIG MGU, 2013. -p. 348-362 (in Russian).
• Moura R., Umaraliev R., Almeida F., Abdrakhmatov K., Nizamiev A. (2013). Application of multichannel analysis of surface waves (MASW) for seismic hazard assessment: a case study in the Chon-Аlay district, Kyrgyz Republic // «Hydrogeology, engineering geology and geotechnics mineral processing applied and environmental geophysics oil and gas exploration» conference proceedings. – Аlbena, 2013. -С. 707-717.
• Nizamiev A., Umaraliev R., Moura R., Khetagurova V., Almeida F. (2015). Application of multi risk assessment approach and GIS for comprehensive evaluation of educational facilities: a case study in the Chong-Alay district, Kyrgyz Republic // The Central Asia GIS Conference – GISCA 2015 “Geospatial Management of Land, Water and Resources”. -Tashkent: TIIM, 2015. P. 64-68.
Ruslan Umaraliev Abdibaetovich
Dr. Ruslan Umaraliev has many years of professional experience in organizational development and management, studying hazards, developing and managing DRR projects and programs for sustainable development. Ruslan carried out his professional activities in Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Portugal, and the USA. From 1996 to 2011 he worked in organizations such as the Agency for Geology and Mineral Resources of the Kyrgyz Republic, Mercy Corps, Eurasia Foundation, EFCA, ACTED, MSDSP KG. Subsequently, after successfully defending his doctorate in “Environmental Sciences and Technology” in 2013 at the University of Porto (Portugal), he had been engaged as a UNISDR (Almaty) Regional Expert in Central Asia. Later, as part of the Fulbright Program in 2016-2017, he was engaged in research activities at the Extreme Events Institute of Florida International University (USA) and later he led the International Research Centre in Kyrgyz-European Faculty of Osh State University.
• Havenith HB, Umaraliev R, Schlögel R, Torgoev I. Past and Potential Future Socioeconomic Impacts of Environmental Hazards in Kyrgyzstan. In Oliver A. P. (Ed.) Kyrgyzstan: Political, Economic and Social Issues 2017 – 4th quarter (Chapter 2). Nova Science Publishers, Inc. NY, USA, 2017
• Umaraliev R., Nizamiev A., Moura R., Almeida F., Khetagurova V. “Results of GIS application for seismic hazard and multi risk assessment in mountain area of Kyrgyzstan” // Proceedings of the GIS in Central Asia Conference – GISCA 2016 “Green Spaces: Perspectives and Designs” April 28-30 in Bishkek, KSUCTA, Kyrgyz State University of construction, transport and architecture named by N.Isanov (Bishkek), ISSN: 1694-5298, pp.200-006, 2016
• Umaraliev R., Khetagurova V., Moura R. “Regional risk of Hazards in Central Asia” // Proceedings of international theoretical and practical conference – Achievements of a high school science, Moscow state regional university, pp. 230-234, 2014.
• Umaraliev R., Khetagurova V., Moura R., Nizamiev A. “Disaster Risk Management as integral part of sustainable development strategy of Central Asian countries” // Proceedings of First International Symposium “Modern aspects of fundamental sciences”. pp. 348 – 362 pp., ISBN 978-5-7017-2135-5, Moscow, 2013.
• Moura R., Umaraliev R., Almeida F., Abdrakhmatov K., Nizamiev A. “Application of Multichannel Analysis of Surface Waves (MASW) for seismic hazard assessment: A Case study in the Chong-Alay district, Kyrgyz Republic”, 13th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference, SGEM2013 Conference Proceedings, Albena, Bulgaria, pp. 707-718, 2013
• Moura R., Umaraliev R., Almeida F., G dal Moro “Vs measurements through dispersive wave methods in the urban environment of Porto (North Portugal)”, 15th World Conference of Earthquake Engineering, 15WCEF, Lisbon, Portugal, 2012.
Gulshan is a senior lecturer at Osh State University and Osh Technological University and delivers lectures on “Programming in Visual Studio .NET (C++, Visual Basic)”,“Programming in Matlab and Maple”, “Database Management”, “Object-oriented programming”, “Network systems”, etc. She teaches interdisciplinary courses: “Introduction to GIS”, “Cartography”, and “Data acquisition and integration”. She is also supervisor of students and trains them for Olympiads on Programming. She worked as lecturer and technical adviser on TEMPUS Project “Geoinformatics MSc Central Asia” in 2010-2013. Her main responsibilities were teaching interdisciplinary courses in GIS and Masters courses, developing curriculum for masters course in GIS (course information, supervised procurement of equipment and software (ArcGIS, ERDAS, QGIS) from purchase to installation, organizing GIS Laboratory Opening Ceremony, presenting about TEMPUS GEM activities, academic processes and future plans. Gulshan as been working as an IT specialist in USAID/IFDC Program, and participated some trainings and workshops related to “Distance Academic Writing Course and Integrated Academic English”, “Maps and the Geospatial Revolution” by Pennsylvania State University, USA, “Network with LINUX and TCP/IP”, “OSM, Aerial Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing, KSUCTA”, “TEMPUS GEM training” at the University of West Hungary, “OpenGIS”, SDI – Portal, KSUC, “Theory and Practice of GPS – Geocaching and OSM, Geodata-Management”, “Data modeling/ETL with SAFE-FME, Development of NSDI/Kyrgyz Web Portal, Open Source Desktop and Server Software, KSUCTA”, etc. She also participated with publications on “GI Forum/AGIT – Salzburg University, Salzburg, Austria” in 2014, “Annual Central Asia GIS Conference “Geoinformation for Land and Resource Management” in 2012, 2011.
Guliza is a teacher at the faculty of natural science and geography in Osh State University and carries out practical courses on geographical sciences. She has good experience as a laboratory assistant and got “GIS program” course (Certificate) in 2016. She was awarded with as “Miss Osh State University” contest among university teachers in 2012. She has participated different pedagogical and scientifically trainings and conferences. Recently, she is working on topic of “Revival of small towns as a factor for development and socio-economic renovation of a region” (Southern Kyrgyzstan).
• Momsheva G. About natural destructive occurrences. Matters of multinational scientifically practical conference. RSSU, 2010.
• Momsheva G. Torrents and floods as dangerous natural occurrences in Kyrgyzstan. Osh State University’s gazette. N3, 2011.
• Momsheva G. Enterprise in Osh: common and regional problems Pavlodar State University’s gazette (Alma – Ata). N2, 2011.
• Momsheva G. To the question of development and locating of industry in Kyrgyzstan. Pavlodar State University’s gazette. (Alma – Ata), N-1, 2013.